Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 7 - Compiling Food Lists

I am one week in .... and have had my blood drawn at Any Lab Test Now (see Prelude Blog).  Test Results should be in within 3-4 days.

So, what is the next step?    I really need to develop a better grocery list, so I headed off to Whole Foods for a sight seeing tour ... adding some new items to others I have already found.

Here's where I am so far:

Shopping List for Alpha Gal Allergy (that is also Gluten Free)

Meats
No Meats from Mammals 
No Beef, Pork, Lamb,Veal 
No Venison, Bison, Squirrel Rabbit
All meats can be prepared any way you like, just beware of cross contamination with beef/pork and no dairy can be included in your recipe - meaning NO butter, NO cream, No milk.  Olive Oil is your best bet for a cooking oil.
Chicken - any cut.
Chicken Sausages - read the labels carefully. Some use pork casings
Turkey - any cut, or ground turkey
Turkey Bacon - I preferred uncured, peppered from Trader Joe's
Emu
Ostrich
Alligator
Eggs - hard boiled, poached or scrambled
Fish - Fresh or Frozen -
(Tilapia, Salmon, Tuna, Mahi, Wahoo, Shrimp, Scallops, Lobster)
Tuna Fish Salad (mayo, celery, salt and pepper)

Dairy Substitutes
Look for labels that indicate "Vegan" and "Gluten Free"
Almond Milk - I prefer the vanilla flavored unsweetened
Rice Milk - which I have heard works well for baking
Vegan Cheese - not my favorite, but the provolone cheese melted is ok
Earth Balance Spread - Organic / Vegan
Coconut Milk
Ice Cream made with Coconut Milk

Veggies / Fruits / Salads / Dressings
Eat all you want - just no added cheese, no milk based dressings
Coleslaw with Mango Salsa (try the Island Salsa from Trader Joe's)
Mayonnaise is okay
Dipping Sauces /Dressings - avoid milk, cheese & whey ingredients

Snacks
White or Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips - I like the $2 Santitos
Salsa - all sorts
Trader Joe's Savory Thin Cracker (Gluten free)
Plain Potato Chips (no flavorings that contain whey)
Plantain Chips
Newman's Fig Bars (dairy & wheat free)
Enjoy Life Chocolate Bars - dairy, nut & soy free

Breakfast Foods
Cheerios (regular and frosted) with Almond Milk
Corn Flakes (regular and frosted) with Almond Milk
Rice Krispies
Chex Cereal - Corn or Rice
Gluten free Oatmeal
Grits
Gluten Free / Dairy Free Frozen Donuts







5 comments:

  1. I am SO GLAD I found this! My husband has just recently been diagnosed with this and to find a food list compatible for what we can have...it's been stressful to find. One thing, is there a bread you use? We thought the one we had was ok, but not so sure now. Suggestions?? Girl, this list is a life saver!!! Thank you for creating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beware of lunch meats. Some turkey and chicken are “naturally” flavored with beef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vitamin d in most cereal is not alpha gal free

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got diagnosed this week and I am devastated. I am scared to death to eat especially going out to eat. Thank you so much for making this list and suggesting whole foods which is a great idea.I think I may reach out to a nutritionist if I can find one that specializes in alpha gal just to help me make safer choices to eat and to not be so afraid. Do you know anyone that was dx with Alpha Gal and it actually went away? Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch the canned tuna..I had very bad reaction...if has to do with the processing..per AGS information site...

    ReplyDelete