Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 6 - Reading Menus and Asking Questions

First, let me say this .... I've always been annoyed with people ordering in a restaurant that are asking too many questions about the food - how it is prepared, asking for items to be put "on the side", asking for substitutions, or even asking for something to be prepared especially for them (that really isn't on the menu).   My first thought was always, "Why didn't you just stay home and prepare your own damn food?"

Now, I have to be that person.  Argh.

So here I am - Day 6 .... Going to a festival where the food offerings come from a Food Truck Rodeo. As our family is figuring out how we are going to divide and conquer, my husband points out there is a vendor that is serving grilled shrimp on a stick.  (Hmmm, maybe I can eat?)  So I go over to this vendor, and they have been thoughtful enough to have a complete description of exactly how this shrimp skewer is prepared.  I look at the rest of their menu, and realize that there is nothing on their menu that could be a "cross contamination" issue for me.  Yay!

After the festival - we went out for dinner at our usual pub.  This outing was not so easy.  Their specialties are burgers and mac & cheese.  I opted for the spicy shrimp tacos - with a Sriracha sauce and cabbage.  I scrape everything out of the tortilla and ate it like a salad since I am also avoiding gluten.  As I am finishing up and scraping the plate clean, it all of sudden occurs to me that the sauce is creamy.  Oh no!  Did I just ingest dairy?  Not wanting a surprise attack of hives in the middle of the night .... I had to ask the waiter how that sauce was prepared.  He asked the chef and said it was prepared with oils, not dairy.  Whew!

Yep, I just became that annoying person.

I guess I am going to have to get comfortable with asking more questions and even asking for something to prepared "special".  It sure beats having an allergic reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment