Saturday, July 7, 2018

How Many People Do You Know ?

In the course of the last 2-3 years, I have become aware of several friends that have Alpha Gal Allergy.  This week, a very close friend and co-worker approached me and asked about my symptoms and was going to get tested.  For his sake, I hope the test is negative!

The thought occurred to me (again) that I believe the total number of incidences are much greater than researchers and CDC/NIH are reporting.  I have 4 friends that have it.  I have many friends that know someone who has it.  When you start thinking about exponential factors - it can seem like an epidemic!

According to a recent article on NPR, Dr. Scott Commins at UNC is indicating 5,000 cases in the US.  A year ago (from the same source) the number was 3,500.  I would not be surprised if the actual number is much higher than that.  Question:  Where does the data come from?

Article on NPR's site from June 25, 2018: 
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/06/25/621080751/red-meat-allergies-caused-by-tick-bites-are-on-the-rise

 I urge everyone who has Alpha Gal Allergy to self report on this website with a pin on this map. 
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=555038
On this map, there are (as of the date of this post) 2,779 self reporting cases

I hope the number of reported incidences (even if self reported) demonstrate the significance of this condition and hopefully more research through federal funding with the CDC and NIH.

No comments:

Post a Comment