Saturday, July 7, 2018

Sharing Stories - Violet

Violet:
I believe I have always had the allergy. I have always had weird aversions to food. I would go forever only eating because I had to. I was diagnosed with weird stomach issues from time to time. Always just chalked it up to being underweight. I was from a little town called Hillview in the River bottoms of Illinois. I lived in the hills. I spent my entire life picking ticks off me. I have always said I am like a magnet.

We can fast forward many years. I live in Athens, Illinois I am a 37 year old female. In my spare time I hike, camp, fish. I love to be outside. I know exactly when and where my last flare up would be. I went to Shalom Springs in Brown county Illinois for my anniversary with my husband. We took out our dune buggy and a tent. It was a blast. We also got covered in what we believed at the time was chiggers. We both got terribly bit up. Tiny red things that I could peel off my skin with a knife. My husband and I both treated. He got better. I did not. It ended up turning into a horrible skin infection…

Lets fast forward some more. Funny sick spells start happening. Two that send me to the hospital. I lose a ton of weight because EVERYTHING makes me ill. Doctors do a ton of tests. Things come back okay. Until my husbands friend, who lives 100’s of miles away, tells him of this weird Allergy he has to meat. So for a year my husband is on me saying I need to ask a doctor about this.

I am severely allergic to Beef and pork. None of my doctors really know what to do with me. I am not supposed to consume milk but I do. If I don’t I will have nothing to eat. Everything I read says If I can tolerate it then I can consume. I can’t drink it and sometimes heavy sauces bother me.

I tried to eat beef a few years ago. I certainly didn’t have the normal belly reaction 8 hours after. I had full on hives…I don’t eat beef anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment