Saturday, July 7, 2018

General Guidelines - What works for me ... and what to avoid

Here's some suggestions on what to avoid and what is okay:

No meats that come from mammals (and yes, that includes Whale, Porpoise, Monkey and Bat if you are so inclined).  I thought it was a good idea to ask my allergist in case I ever decide to go on Naked and Afraid.

Obviously - Chicken, Turkey, Fish (including shellfish) are all okay to eat
If you can find it and are willing to pay an arm and a leg - you can also eat Ostrich and Emu.
Eggs are fine to eat
Pay close attention to turkey or chicken sausage products - sometimes they are in a pork casing or collagen casing.  Collagen Casing comes from Beef - I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Butterball to figure that out.

Do not eat anything that has been on the same grill as red meat - including grilled vegetables.
I found that out the hard way and that is my most common ongoing challenge.  Had a reaction to a Panera salad that had some grilled veggies.

At home, we have 2 grills - 1 grill for everyone else, 1 grill for me.  If we grill veggies for everyone, then we do it on my grill.
I have heard recommendations to not stand around a grill that is (or has been) cooking mammalian meat.  
One man reported that his wife has a reaction from just being around a smoky grill.

Anything Mayonaise based is fine since it is made from eggs and oil - I am usually okay with Aoili sauces
Mustard, Ketchup and BBQ sauces are fine
Margarine is fine - I use Country Crock in both stick and tub forms.
Be careful about Buffalo Sauce - some have butter in them at restaurants.  Franks Hot Sauce is okay.
Balsamic Dressings (even if they look creamy) are usually fine - because they are oil based, not milk based - but always good to ask
Watch out for Italian Dressings that have Parmesan and Romano Cheese in them
Avoid Ranch & Blue Cheese Dressing - due to fat based milk or buttermilk

Regarding milk products in general for reading labels - milk protein (whey) seems to be fine - so I am okay with pancake mixes that have powered milk in them or Nacho Cheese Doritos for example.  Cannot do the Ranch Doritos due to milk fat content.

For the first 6 months I avoided all dairy
Now I have been able to eat Non-Fat & Low Fat Dairy - 2 years after onset.
A friend of mine has been completely fine with dairy - everyone is different.

Vegan Cheese is terrible - but I did find a Vegan Parmesan Cheese at Whole Foods that I like the taste of.  Trader Joe's carries a good shredded cheese blend that is primarily soy.

Look out for gelatin - which is a beef by-product - so no Jello and no Gummie Bears.  Check the labels of candies for gelatin.  Gelatin capsules for medicines and certain immunizations are also a problem.

Also - I have found I am sensitive to lanolin - which is a by-product from sheep shearing.  Had an issue with Burt's Bees lip balm & Chapstick which was making my lips tingle and making me sneeze.  I now check all my toiletries and cosmetics for lanolin products and avoid them.  The Body Shop is a good resource for toiletries that are "animal free".  Also Whole Foods carries toiletries that are labeled "V" for Vegan.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there. I'm getting conflicting info on Benadryl.
    Since I am prone to hives from other allergies it was always my go to.
    Now, that I'm not sure whether or not it's safe. And I also have added Alpha Gal to my wonderful allergies.
    I'm a bit worried about what to take if I do have one of my other allergy reactions.
    Have you heard anything about this or talked to your doctor about it?
    I'm waiting for my first appointment with a new allergist. I just don't want to make things worse in the mean time. Thanks in advance for any info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do take Benedryl when having a moderate to severe reaction. Other than Benedryl making me feel very sleepy, I don't have any adverse reaction to it. My doctor recommended Benedryl. Word of caution: Do not take the Gel Caps. They have gelatin in them which you are likely allergic to if you have Alpha Gal Allergy. Gelatin is a beef by-product. I have also taken Claritin when I think I might have eaten something I am allergic to, and don't want to wait for the delayed reaction. I have found with mild allergen contact or cross contact that Claritin seems to lessen a reaction (without drowsiness). Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps tremendously. I appreciate the response!! Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete