Sunday, July 10, 2016

Cross Contact - Food Allergies

Yesterday, my husband and I were traveling and I didn't have too many viable choices for a lunch spot.  We ended up going to Jersey Mike's so he could get a sandwich and I figured I could find something there to eat.  Most sub places have tuna fish salad which has become a regular staple in my diet this summer.

So I am watching the guy at the front of the line, slicing meat for each sandwich order.  He is also the order taker, and is wearing gloves.  All the meat off the slicer is being handled by his gloved hands.

I order the tuna salad "bowl" versus a sub.  Before I get a chance to ask him to change his gloves for me, he reaches into the lettuce to start the preparation of my Tuna Salad Bowl.  Immediately, I told him I only wanted the tuna salad - no veggies.  I am highly allergic, so I am not willing to risk the cross contact between things I can eat, and those that I cannot.

Here's some interesting information about how to avoid cross contact ...

https://www.foodallergy.org/cross-contact



No comments:

Post a Comment